The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey is a bistate public agency responsible for promoting transportation and commerce, operating some of the busiest and most important transportation links in the region including bridges, tunnels, bus terminals, airports, PATH, AirTrain systems, and the NY/NJ seaport. We currently have an opening for a Structural Steel Inspector in the Engineering Department's Materials Engineering Division.
NOTE: This is a project position with benefits.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Structural Steel Inspector will be responsible for performing visual inspections of welds and non-destructively test using Liquid Penetrant, Magnetic Particle or Ultrasonic testing methods to ensure contract compliance and reviewing contract submittals for weld and welder qualifications, materials conformance and contractors.
· A Bachelor of Science or Associate Degree in Engineering or Technology.
· A minimum of 3 years experience in the area of structural steel inspection and non-destructive testing of welds and have certifications as described herein.
· Certification as a welding inspector by the American Welding Society (AWS).
· Certification from the American Society for Non-destructive Testing (ASNT) as a Level II in Liquid Penetrant, Magnetic Particle and Ultrasound testing.
· Must be certified by the International Code Council (ICC) to inspect and test structural bolts.
The ideal candidate will present the following qualifications profile:
· A thorough understanding of the AWS welding codes and hands-on familiarity with welding procedures is required.
· The ability to interpret contract drawings and specifications.
· Demonstrated problem solving, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
· Superior oral communication, written communication and presentation skills are required.
· Must be able to obtain security clearances for restricted areas.
· Possess a valid driver’s license.
· MS Office computer skills.
· NACE certification.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
Interested applicants can apply directly online to this position by visiting www.JoinThePortAuthority.com. Follow the instructions to View Job Postings, type the following reference number 10931 in the Keyword Search box.
Only applicants under consideration will be contacted.
The Port Authority of NY & NJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer.