Permanent Opening in Rochester New York
Posted: 3/12/2007 11:40:10 AM
This job is closed
NDT.org Job Number:
* Please reference NDT.org Job Number on all correspondence
Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
NY New York
Up to $64,000/yr.
Since our founding in 1894, we have held the undisputed reputation as the leader in US product safety and certification. Building on our household name in the US, UL is becoming one of the most recognized & reputable conformity assessment providers in the world. Today, our services extend to helping companies achieve acceptance, whether it is an electrical device, a programmable system or a company's quality process. UL Working for a Safer World.
***Field Representative and NDT for East Rochester to Syracuse Area Position Available ***
Under general supervision, independently executes the timely completion of assigned work orders and other Inspection Center projects by analyzing scope and determining requirements, evaluating complex product and systems to establish requirements and preparing reports. Maintains the integrity of the UL Mark by conducting various product, device, process, system and material inspections at various site and factory locations to ensure that they are produced and marked in compliance with various applicable technical requirements. Assists in the promotion, marketing and selling of new and existing UL services. Works with internal and external customers to resolve technical and administrative issues.
1. Independently performs safety and non-safety certification inspections and field evaluations in accordance with the required performance standards and requirements. Analyzes and evaluates examination and test results against applicable requirements. Uses technical judgment to determine whether noncompliance variations compromise the continued application of the UL Mark and may determine if alternative is acceptable. May audit customer quality management or assurance programs.
2. Interprets and analyzes examination and test results against UL requirements, verifying the accuracy of manufacturers’ measuring equipment and reviewing production and inspection records. Periodically reviews manufacturers’ programs of production, inspection, and shipping to ensure products are produced and marked in compliance with UL requirements. Evaluates and facilitates options for corrective action where variations from UL requirements are noted.
3. Communicates with manufacturers and customers, Authorities Having Jurisdiction and others to conduct non-safety and safety certification inspections. Investigates the misuse of UL Mark. Provides general information on policies and procedures for the varied UL services along with promoting and explaining the benefits of new and existing services. Discusses procedures, test methods, test results, sample selection and variations in products, devices, processes, systems and materials as necessary to resolve problems, implement changes to existing requirements or help develop new requirements.
4. Uses instruments to perform inspections, such as micrometers, voltmeters, ammeters, and other equipment. Observes use of manufacturer’s equipment necessary to meet UL requirements. Confirms proper calibration of manufacturers’ measuring equipment and may perform calibration of UL supplied equipment.
5. Documents examination, variations and test results to appropriate UL forms. Maintains logs for scheduling inspections, time and expenses. Performs various calculations in more than one specific engineering field such as electrical, mechanical, chemical, or fire protection.
6. Resolves process, management system and possibly engineering issues associated with Variation Notices by analyzing and reporting on the acceptability of the variations.
7. Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
8. Performs other duties as directed.
9. NDT Technician - Successful candidate will perform NFPA certification testing on Aerial Devices (including aerial component weldment inspections), Ground Ladders and Pumpers. Work includes Field and Factory evaluations of fire apparatus by using NDT testing methods of magnetic particle, visual, ultra-sound, and liquid penetrant. Candidate must be willing to travel and must have good interpersonal and communication skills. Job requires someone who is detail-oriented and can report data accurately and timely.
AAS in Non-Desctructive testing
Plus generally two years of related work experience.The individual hired for this position should possess strong communication skills, a solid understanding of Mechanical/Electrical Principles (Self Starter/Experience preferred), have mechanical aptitude, and it would be desirable for the candidate to have an understanding of Quality Principles.
Basic knowledge of third-party certification inspection processes Working knowledge of the technical vocabulary common to the appropriate discipline.
Demonstrated ability to identify and manage priorities.
Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with clients and staff at all levels.
Computer Knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel and Lotus Notes), Knowledge of hand measuring tools (micrometers, Verniers, etc), knowledge and ability to use Voltmeters, Amp meters, Dielectric Strength equipment.
UL offers eligible employees comprehensive benefit plans designed to meet specific healthcare, life insurance, investment and retirement needs. Find out more about our information by visiting our website at www.ul.com. Committed to a diverse work place M/F/D/V, we support a drug-free work place. No phone calls please. Only those who we have an interest in interviewing will receive a response. UL does not consider unsolicited referrals, applications and/or resumes from individuals, vendors, and/or recruitment agencies. If you are interested in one of the positions listed please send resume and cover letter to Recruiting at - email@example.com or mail to 333 Pfingsten Road Northbrook, IL 60062. Please include job ID in subject line.
All employment decisions are based on non-discriminatory factors without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran or any other veterans who served on active duty during a war or, in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized. In addition, Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. engages in affirmative action efforts, where appropriate, to employ, train, and promote qualified minorities, women, the disabled, Vietnam era special disabled veterans, and other covered veterans.