Engineering Technician II, Nondestructive Examination (NDE) – San Ramon, CA
Posted: 3/5/2012 8:48:37 AM
This job is closed
NDT.org Job Number:
* Please reference NDT.org Job Number on all correspondence
Full-time / Regular
This position is represented by the Engineers & Scientists of California (ESC)
subject to collective bargaining.
The NDE unit within Applied Technology Services department provides a
broad range of nondestructive testing and inspection services. NDE
techniques can detect the extent of fabrication and service-generated defects
on all types of equipment, components, and materials. NDE services are
particularly valuable where other forms of inspections are impractical (e.g.,
buried conduit) or may damage the integrity of the component.
Under the direction of supervision of an employee in a higher classification,
this position performs all laboratory and field assignments, maintenance and
repairs, calibrations, and investigations of a difficult nature on a wide variety
of materials and equipment. Performs other investigative work as directed.
Prepares reports on results of investigations. May be required to perform
tests in the field without direct supervision and may direct the work of other
While work location is in San Ramon, travel required will be approximately
• Performs inspections and conducts manual as well as automated
nondestructive tests (including report preparation) on power plant, gas
transmission, and substation components, parts and structures related to
electric power generation and gas and electric distribution and transmission.
• Assists in development of NDE procedures and techniques, including, but
not limited to laboratory work, design and fabrication of tooling, fixtures, and
delivery systems for NDE systems, and maintenance and repair of NDE
• Associate degree or equivalent including courses/training meeting ASNT
SNT-TC-1A hours for certification in at least 3 NDE methods (Radiography
Testing, Penetrant Testing, Magnetic Particle Testing)
• Level II certifications in at least RT and PT or MT.
• Minimum of 3 years experience working as a certified Level II radiographer
using gamma sources
• Certified to DCPP TQ1.ID12 for radiography as a Level II
• Current AWS CWI certification
• ASNT ACCP certification
• Machine tool background or experience
• AutoCAD drawing familiarity
• Knowledge of computerized radiography techniques and use of equipment
• Proficient in MS Office applications such as Word Excel and Outlook
• Familiarly with working in nuclear power plants and radiological areas
• Willingness to work overtime to support plant outages and field work
Pacific Gas and Electric Company is an AA/EEO employer that actively pursues
and hires a diverse workforce.