Visiting Business Development Specialist
Posted: 2/14/2018 8:10:18 AM
This job is closed
NDT.org Job Number:
* Please reference NDT.org Job Number on all correspondence
Prairie Research Institute/University of Illinois
Visiting Business Development Specialist
Illinois Sustainable Technology Center
Prairie Research Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Illinois Sustainable Technology Center (ISTC) is part of the Prairie Research Institute (PRI) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign which is centrally located between Chicago, St. Louis, and Indianapolis. PRI houses five large scientific surveys covering a wide range of expertise including biology, water resources, climate, geology, sustainable technology, and archaeology. PRI’s mission is to provide objective, integrated scientific research and service, in cooperation with other academic and research units of the University of Illinois and elsewhere, that allow citizens and decision-makers to make choices that ensure sustainable economic development, enduring environmental quality, and cultural resource preservation for the people, businesses, and governments of Illinois.
ISTC is seeking a Visiting Business Development Specialist to work within the Technical Assistance Program (TAP) to recruit and maintain relationships with business and communities for the purpose of evaluating their sustainability needs and generating projects to address these needs. This position will be located in Oakbrook, Illinois.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identify and execute strategies pertaining to revenue generating services, as well as solicit new industry/business opportunities for the Technical Assistance Program (TAP).
• Effectively and accurately assess a business’ sustainability needs and develop proposals for TAP to address their needs.
• Plan and manage client site visits, client events and webinars in support of TAP goals. This includes overseeing all aspects of execution, including marketing and client development planning and follow-up activities. Execute at least the minimum expectations for directed client-facing events each week, as outlined by TAP Manager.
• Develop and deliver presentations at professional conferences and client meetings to disseminate technical information and scientific data regarding projects and services.
• Be familiar with and able to support TAP team in identifying opportunities to improve sustainability activities associated with materials, processes, water and waste water, energy utilization, waste minimization and recycling.
• Establish relationships with existing accounts to increase their current fiscal outlay for ISTC programs.
• Support the identification of market trends and new approaches to assist businesses and communities by researching industry and related events, publications, and announcements; track individual contributors and their accomplishments with the intent to expand ISTCs offered services and capacities.
• Build on existing internal systems to monitor completion stats, technical accomplishments, customer satisfaction, and costs for all revenue generating projects.
• Meet annual expectations of generated contract revenues as outlined by TAP Manager.
• Provide additional assistance as needed to further the mission of TAP and PRI.
• Travel may be required including overnight stays.
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, or industrial engineering
Experience Required: A minimum of two years relevant work experience. Must have a track record of business development and sales of technical services.
Preferred: Demonstrated written record to validate having at least two years of experience selling services in the B2B (business to business) sector, such as deal/sell sheets. Information should include the identification of market, services sold, and volume of deals closed in USD.
Training, Licenses or Certifications: Must possess a valid driver’s license and access to transportation to travel to sites.
Knowledge Required: Demonstrated ability to identify, quantify, and close deals with clients. Ability to identify and pursue revenue generating opportunities. Demonstrated ability to initiate and manage business relationships. Effective communication, personal relations, organizational, and team member/leader skills. Technical editing skills and ability to organize data. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated public speaking skills to wide variety of audiences, including both technical and non-technical. Demonstrated ability to set goals and meet metrics; familiarity with project management. Demonstrated ability to perform effectively in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities with stringent deadlines, under minimal supervision.
Preferred: Track record of business development and sales of sustainability related to B2B services; knowledge of current sustainability issues within private sector industrial and manufacturing such as energy efficiency, water consumption, waste reduction and recycling.
This is a visiting, full-time, academic professional appointment subject to the continued availability of funding and programmatic need. Position may become a regular, non-visiting position at a later date depending on funding and programmatic need. The starting date is negotiable after the closing date.
Salary is commensurate upon qualifications and experience,
Please complete your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, CV/resume, and the names and contact information (including e-mail addresses) for three professional references by February 28, 2018. Interviews may be conducted before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after the closing date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Hannah Dorsey at (217) 333-4978 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.