Team Lead, NDT Inspections - Generation Technology & Testing
Posted: 4/2/2019 9:58:16 AM
This job is closed
NDT.org Job Number:
* Please reference NDT.org Job Number on all correspondence
Powertech Labs Inc
BC British Columbia
Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro's subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 220+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company's staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused. To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Team Lead, NDT Inspections to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, B.C.
The Generation Technology and Testing business unit consists of Materials Solutions, NDT Inspections, Electrical Services and Civil Technologies departments. Services include routine and specialized laboratory and field testing, inspection and safety equipment testing, condition assessment, generator testing and modelling, diagnostic testing of generator and motor stator bars and coils, non-destructive testing, material testing, and finite element analysis. Consulting and investigation offerings include asset management studies, failure investigation, and expert witness testimony. The advertised position will primarily serve non-destructive testing, but will also support materials consulting and investigations.
Under the direction of the Senior Manager, Generation Technology & Testing, the incumbent will lead a team of NDT technicians and technologists to conduct field and lab inspection and testing of generation equipment, vehicles (bucket trucks, cranes etc.), safety tools and fall protection equipment. Responsibilities include establishing an understanding of the global industry trends, developing a long-range strategy, and operationalizing this plan to ensure continued customer engagement and support, growth, and day-to-day operational excellence. This leadership role requires teamwork with corporate support functions and the other Team Leads and Managers across Powertech Labs.
Further, the incumbent is expected to be a technical expert in his/her own right and to provide technical leadership to the team. The selected candidate will be expected to engage customers from around North America and beyond, identify and develop new service offerings to meet emerging and market needs and, collaborate with market participants to advance technology and the associated industry standards. With a relentless focus on safety and quality, the incumbent is expected to pursue policies and activities that constantly raise the field safety procedures and practices, the quality accreditation and the performance of the sector.
• Manage, lead and support a team of NDT technicians to conduct field testing on hydroelectric generation equipment, safety equipment, tools and vehicles.
• Manage a core competency program and resource plan.
• Develop and manage test equipment and asset inventory system and calibration process.
• Be accountable for all aspects of the team and department including, but not limited to, financial (P&L), staff, facilities and laboratories, safety, quality, environment, capital expansion, customer interactions, project scoping and scheduling and estimates, and business development.
• Ensure that qualified internal and external resources are available and have the required expertise and tools to meet work plans; allocate resources to various projects within the work program; assign and coordinate work, and provide instructions, advice and technical guidance to other engineers, project and technical staff; review work in progress and assess completed work for accuracy, required results and compliance with quality assurance standards and procedures; where necessary provide mentorship and coaching to team members.
• Lead in business development activities by seeking out opportunities in areas of expertise, contacting prospective clients, preparing proposals and conducting client follow-up.
• Appraise staff performance and provide input into an employee development program in order to maintain the required expertise; assist the business unit director in staff selection, training and recommending promotions.
• Develop a robust program of new services in support of growing the team and the services offered to Powertech’s customers by monitoring and understanding industry/market trends, issues, and opportunities and assess for feasibility and market size.
• Understanding customers’ needs and advising on suitable investigation or inspection techniques.
• Preparation, review and approve technical reports, inclusive of recommendations for next steps.
• Participate in design of project methodology, scoping, costing/budgeting, and preparation of quotations/proposals.
• Providing customer updates, progress reports, invoice requests, and project documentation and closeout.
• Maintain alignment with the expanding Powertech quality program and accreditations (ISO 9001, ISO 17025).
• Maintain a keen outlook on opportunities for new service opportunities, and assess for feasibility and market size.
• Work collaboratively with other teams across Powertech, and seek opportunities for cross-discipline projects.
• Review, enhance and develop methods, procedures and technical standards to take advantage of new technology and improve department effectiveness and efficiency
• Required to chair meetings to address engineering problems in area of expertise, or to provide seminars, courses, meetings, or other presentations.
Education, Experience, Technical Skills Required
• Bachelor level engineering degree from a recognized university in materials, metallurgical, or equivalent required, (Masters and PhD levels will also be considered).
• Registered or eligible for registration as a Professional Engineer with Engineers and Geoscientists BC
• Minimum of eight years’ recent experience related to NDT inspections and asset management strategies.
• Extensive experience in NDT methods including: magnetic particle, dye penetration, visual weld, ultrasonic thickness, UT shear wave, phased array ultrasonic, eddy current array, and x-ray radiography.
• Industry engagement demonstrated through engagement in professional societies, current knowledge of codes and standards, awareness and interest in technology advancements, and additional relevant professional development training.
• Proficient in MS Office applications
• Experience in boom truck/crane inspection and annual certification, and hydroelectric turbine inspection would be an asset.
• In addition to NDT, experience in one or more of the following would be an asset: weld repair strategies/procedures, specification of protective coating system, fitness-for-service analysis, and fracture mechanics and fatigue assessment.
Performance Competencies (Non-Technical Skills)
• Demonstrated rigor in modeling awareness and behaviours for working safely in laboratories and the field
• Demonstrated ability to manage the successful implementation and delivery of products and services to the client on time and within budget
• Focus on customer service; building trust and rapport, and effectively communicating
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills including the ability to build successful relationships, make presentations to technical and non-technical audiences and liaise with peers in industry
• Excellent decision making capabilities
• Able to adapt to a constrained schedule and perform under pressure
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy
• Ability to analyze and resolve challenging and unusual engineering problems, by incorporating innovative design and/or analysis methods.
• Strong interpersonal, communication, technical writing, multitasking, and organizational skills and ability to work in a team environment, and ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment
• Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions
• Candidates who do not meet all requirements and qualifications may be considered for an Intermediate Engineer position.
Location: Surrey, B.C.
Job ID: TLNDT2019.20
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: April 21, 2019
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply, and to learn more about Powertech Labs Inc., visit our website at powertechlabs.com