Radiation Safety Officer
Posted: 5/19/2021 5:55:18 AM
NDT.org Job Number:
* Please reference NDT.org Job Number on all correspondence
* The Radiation Safety Officer is a critical role that oversees the Compliance and Radiation Safety efforts for JANX. It is responsible for supporting the compliance aspect of the JANX NDT efforts, ensuring that all radiation safety programs, measures, operations and procedures are designed, implemented, updated, and comply with applicable regulations at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Manage and oversee the planning, organization, direction, coordination and control of the JANX Radiation Safety Program and procedures ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local requirements that balances to support the JANX business.
* Manage and oversee all Radiation Safety Department and personnel including Radiation Safety Manager and all other personnel; this includes department management and developing department specific processes and procedures to ensure an efficient, compliant department that supports JANX business needs.
* Ensure full compliance with all applicable regulations and company policies for of all radiation safety policies and procedures; ensure all updated regulations are incorporated into Company policy and processes.
* Develop and maintain a high level of understanding to properly interpret Agreement State and U.S. NRC regulations, procedures, forms, and guidance publications and updates.
* Conduct field audits to ensure compliance with all regulatory, license and company procedural requirements pertaining to the possession (storage), transportation and use of industrial radiographic equipment.
* Assist with the Field Audit Program in conjunction with the Quality and Radiation Safety Director ensuring the field audits are being completed in specific geographic regions or areas of performance concerns; provide support to ensure that all applicable radiation standards are in compliance and enforced in all field operations.
* Conduct 8 and 40 Hour Radiation Safety classes as needed. This includes classroom teaching, conducting written and practical testing, issuing certificates of completion and all other tasks required.
* Conduct Source Retrieval Training as needed. This includes classroom teaching, conducting written and practical testing, issuing certificates of completion and all other tasks required.
* Perform Source Retrievals as needed. This may include traveling to the incident zone, communicating with the field technicians, customers and any NRC or Agreement State officials, as well as submitting the proper verbal and written reports to the customers, NRC, or Agreement States.
* Perform T&R Official duties such as reviewing potential candidates (background information) and accepting or denying them as necessary and as per company and legal requirements.
* Manage the Emergency Phone. This includes fielding calls and troubleshooting truck alarm issues after hours, on weekends, and holidays. It may also include calls to Local Law Enforcement, the NRC, or Agreement States in the event of certain issues.
* Identify and investigate problems, initiate solutions, complete applicable client and internal reports, and verify corrective measures and actions if a radiation safety issue is reported; working closely with the Union Hall and Quality and Radiation Safety Director regarding any corrective actions including retraining or suspension of certifications; report all radiation safety non-compliances and corrective actions to the Quality and Radiation Safety Director and the Regional Directors.
* Serve as a point of contact to all applicable regulatory agencies regarding license activities, including inspections, document requests, license applications, renewals, reciprocity requests, job notifications, additions or deletions of designated radiographer trainers.
* Manage in conjunction with department staff all Radiation audits by federal or local authorities; ensuring all documentation is provided timely and correct as required. Take action if any non-compliances are found to ensure the company is in compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations regarding Radiation Safety.
* Manage the company Radiation licenses, both federal and state license; ensure state compliance is met before Radiographic operations are performed in the state; developed defined processes with department staff to ensure there is a set procedure for state compliance.
* Follow and enforce the Company required safe work practices and procedures at all times.
* Follow and enforce Company policies at all times.
* Demonstrate excellent communication skills, professionalism, and promote a positive customer service attitude internally and externally.
* Enforce and abide the requirements of safe operation and personal safety using required Personal Protective Equipment and Safe Practices per company policy.
* Perform all other duties as assigned.
Education and Work Experience:
* 10+ years of experience with Radiation Safety Programs and federal / state license requirement's.
* 5+ years of managing Radiation Safety Programs and license requirements.
* 5+ years of experience as an Industrial Radiographer preferred.
* 5+ years of supervisory experience.
* Experience in the oil and gas service industry preferred.
* Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Certificates and Licenses Required:
* Must have completed a 40 Hour Radiation Safety program.
* Completed formal training in the establishment and maintenance of a radiation protection program.
* Current Industrial Radiographer Certification by Agreement State or ASNT, preferred
* Must meet minimum company requirements to operate a company vehicle and be eligible for coverage under Company insurance program.
JANX is a well-established company and leads the market in highly specialized non-destructive testing and inspection services. JANX is located in the center of numerous unique industries which provides our employees with a wide range of experience.
We provide NDT, new construction, maintenance, and inspection services in all aspects of the oil and gas industries, including exploration, transmission, refining, storage facilities, and all oil related support industries.